The following content discusses triggering topics such as drug addiction. If these topics are triggering, we strongly urge you not to view this page.
"Dope" is a song by Ängie featured on her debut EP Suicidal Since 1995 as the lead single and first track. It was released on February 2nd, 2018, with the music video being released later on February 14th, 2018.
The song was written on Johan Tilli's house, at a session that lasted two days where they wrote as many songs as they could, trying to find her sound.
They created the beat for the song first, Ängie started writing the verses and then Johan came up with the hook, which she didn't like because "it didn't make sense", but after some brainstorming, they decided to use it because the song didn't have to make sense.
When asked what the song was about, Ängie responded: "'Dope' is actually a love song, but within it, I confuse love with the rush for music and drugs. It’s a love song to music, dope, and the person that makes me wanna fight for it."
On her Instagram Stories, she said: "'Dope' is me talking about my love for music, my special one and my love for drugs, but I'm so high I mix it up and don't make any sense."
Music Video Stills
Behind The Scenes
An official tee designed by Ängie was released along with the single in the online shop The Hyv. It is still on sale and can be bought here.
- Ängie started teasing this song on Instagram at the end of 2017, posting snippets, singing it on live-streams, and posting lyrics as the captions for some of her photos.
- The first live performance of this song that's known of is from April 5th, 2017, at Hoxton Square Bar & Kitchen.
- The music video for the song was directed by Christofer Nilsson and Ängie, it was her second time co-directing a video.
- Ängie's boyfriend Pussel Widegren and her friend Vanessa Vega make appearances in the music video.
- An official physical version of the single was sold on the website Discodogs, it can be bought here.
- "Dope" was the third song Ängie wrote that she really liked.
- The song has three demos, one produced by Johan Tilli, one by HABZ, and another one by Mats Jönsson.
- Ängie's manager was the one who decided the song should be the lead single for Suicidal Since 1995, if she could choose, "Boss" would've been the single.
|Suicidal Since 1995|
|Tracks||Dope • Here For My Habits • Boss • We Run • 2013 • Coke Ain't Brain • Venus In Furs|
|Extras||Removed Songs • Merchandise|